I especially have a loving for carrot cakes. They are soft, sweet and very moist. If you love baking and making your own cake or want to try out baking for the first time, the yummy Ugandan carrot cake recipe is one you must try.
Ingredients for making the yummy Ugandan carrot cake
21/2 teaspoons of baking powder
250g wheat flour
1 tablespoon of ground cloves
21/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
300g of brown sugar
6 big and finely grated carrots
100g of pieces of walnuts
3 Big eggs
Step by step method for making yummy Ugandan Carrot Cake
Preheat the oven and set the temperature at 160-180ºC. Then grease and line your baking tray with butter lightly. A paper serviette can be used to line your baking tin.
Step by step process of preparing the carrot cake dough
1. In a large kitchen bowel add wheat flour, baking powder. Sieve them into another bowel to remove any foreign participles it may contain. Ground clove and cinnamon together
2. Add sugar to another Kitchen Bowel. Beat your eggs into the bowl. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until they become light and fluffy
3. Slowly add the vegetable oil until emulsified
4. Fold in the dry ingredients
5. Add the carrot and walnuts to the rest of the ingredients and mix well
6. The carrot dough mixture will be quite wet and watery; don’t get afraid as this is normal
Baking the carrot cake
7. Place in a baking tray or loaf tin and bake in a preheated
oven at 160-180ºC for 20-30 minutes depending on the size
of baking tin
8. Put the blade of a small knife into the cake to check if it is ready. Push it through the middle of the cake and pull it out. If the knife is clean and dry when you pull it out then your cake is already cooked.
9. Remove the cake from the oven and let it rest and cool down. When it is cool carefully remove it from the baking tin, garnish it with icing sugar.
4 TIPS TO MAKING A YUMMY UGANDAN CARROT CAKE
- A pinch of salt will add to the flavor of your carrot cake, therefore add a pinch of salt if your butter is unsalted and do not if the butter/margarine is salted.
- To avoid your carrots from changing color after grating them, sprinkle with lemon juice. This will help to stop oxidization from taking place which is responsible for changing color.
- You can substitute the milk with coconut juice if you want to the cake to be totally vegan
- Gradually add any liquid ingredients into the dough to avoid it from getting soggy.
How to ensure that your carrot cake is moist?
The recommended moisture content for a carrot cake is to stick to the back of your fork moist. Carrots cakes therefore should essential-have high moisture content.
- Brown sugar is the recommended type of sugar to use for this recipe. It is an addition of sweetness, flavor and moisture to your cake.
- Flavorless oil is recommended over butter for use when making cakes with flavorful ingredients like carrots and chocolate. Butter in this case is recommended for flavorless cakes like vanilla cake
- Add a crushed pineapple to your recipe if your intent to prevent your cake from tasting too moist and oily.
- Use fresh carrots for your recipe to benefit from prime moisture from the carrots. Old and shriveled carrots will be hard and dry these are not good for moisture.